Choose the best answer
1. ________ are considered to be the flower that signifies Memorial Day.
d. There is no flower to signify Memorial Day
2. Memorial Day is a Federal holiday that honors our __________.
a. military dead
c. armed forces
3. The holiday was originally named _________.
a. Military Day
b. Honors Day
c. Decoration Day
d. Soldier Day
4. Name one of two auto races held over the Memorial Day weekend.
True or False
5. Flags are to be flown at half staff until noon on Memorial Day.
6. The Thursday before the Memorial Day holiday, small American Flags are placed on each of the 260,000 graves by soldiers from the 3rd U.S. Infantry at Lincoln National Cemetery.
7. Traditional concerts such as the National Memorial Day Concert take place during Memorial Day.
8. Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) established Memorial Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers.
9. Major General John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. This date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.
Choose the best answer
10. What was the 1st state to officially recognize Memorial Day?
a. New York
c. Washington D.C.
11. What song is often played at ceremonies on Memorial Day?
a. The Soldier's March
b. The National Anthem
d. Honor Honor Honor
12. Memorial Day was declared a federal holiday in what year?
a. Memorial Day was NEVER declared a federal holiday.
13. If you want to formally observe Memorial Day, one thing you should do is...
a. At 3 p.m. local time, pause for a moment of silence or listen to “Taps”.
b. Hold a picnic or party with relatives and/or friends.
c. Light a single candle at midnight May 30.
d. None of the above
14. Another way to formally observe Memorial Day is to...
b. Attend a parade
c. Light fireworks
d. All of the above
15. The famous quote "For love of country they accepted death" was written by
a. George Washington
b. Grover Cleveland
c. Franklin Roosevelt
d. James A. Garfield
16. A famous quote by Thomas Campbell
a. "The patriot’s blood is the seed of Freedom’s tree"
b. "Fire the cannon of freedom into the hearts of all"
c. "Soldiers will fall so a nation can stand"
d. "Honor not death, but Freedom which from death is earned"
17. The Southern States of Alabama and Mississippi observe the last Monday in what month as Confederate Memorial Day.
18. On what day does the state of Georgia celebrate Confederate Memorial Day?
a. June 24th
b. May 1st
c. April 26th
d. Georgia doesn't celebrate Confederate Memorial Day
19. What state celebrates Confederate Heroes Day on January 19th.
20. In 2000, Congress established a National Moment of Remembrance. Why?
a. To ask Americans to pause for one minute at 3 p.m.
b. So that ALL federal buildings would remain closed on Memorial Day
c. There is no such thing
d. To dedicate advertising dollars to the holiday
- Indianapolis 500 and the Coca Cola 600
- False (it's Arlington Cemetery, NOT Lincoln Cemetery)
Post a Comment