Answers are found by clicking "the rest of the story" at the bottom of the quiz. Good Luck!
Choose the best answer
1. ________ are considered to be the flower that signifies Memorial Day. a. Roses b. Poppies c. Carnations d. There is no flower to signify Memorial Day
2. Memorial Day is a Federal holidaythat honorsour __________. a. military dead b. soldiers c. armed forces d. President
3. The holiday was originally named _________. a. Military Day b. Honors Day c. Decoration Day d. Soldier Day
4. Name one of two auto races held over the Memorial Day weekend.
True or False
5. Flags are to be flown at half staff until noon on Memorial Day.
6. The Thursday before the Memorial Day holiday, small American Flags are placed on each of the 260,000 graves by soldiers from the 3rd U.S. Infantry at Lincoln National Cemetery.
7. Traditional concerts such as the National Memorial Day Concert take place during Memorial Day.
8. Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) established Memorial Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers.
9. Major General John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. This date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.
Choose the best answer
10. What was the 1st state to officially recognize Memorial Day? a. New York b. Pennsylvania c. Washington D.C. d. Delaware
11. What song is often played at ceremonies on Memorial Day? a. The Soldier's March b. The National Anthem c. Taps d. Honor Honor Honor
12. Memorial Day was declared a federal holiday in what year? a. Memorial Day was NEVER declared a federal holiday. b. 1872 c. 1902 d. 1971
13. If you want to formally observe Memorial Day, one thing you should do is... a. At 3 p.m. local time, pause for a moment of silence or listen to “Taps”. b. Hold a picnic or party with relatives and/or friends. c. Light a single candle at midnight May 30. d. None of the above
14. Another way to formally observe Memorial Day is to... a. Fast b. Attend a parade c. Light fireworks d. All of the above
15. The famous quote "For love of country they accepted death" was written by a. George Washington b. Grover Cleveland c. Franklin Roosevelt d. James A. Garfield
16. A famous quote by Thomas Campbell a. "The patriot’s blood is the seed of Freedom’s tree" b. "Fire the cannon of freedom into the hearts of all" c. "Soldiers will fall so a nation can stand" d. "Honor not death, but Freedom which from death is earned"
17.The Southern States of Alabama and Mississippi observe the last Monday in what month as Confederate Memorial Day. a. March b. May c. April d. January
18. On what day does the state of Georgia celebrate Confederate Memorial Day? a. June 24th b. May 1st c. April 26th d. Georgia doesn't celebrate Confederate Memorial Day
19. What state celebrates Confederate Heroes Day on January 19th. a. Alabama b. Florida c. Tennessee d. Texas
20. In 2000, Congress established a National Moment of Remembrance. Why? a. To ask Americans to pause for one minute at 3 p.m. b. So that ALL federal buildings would remain closed on Memorial Day c. There is no such thing d. To dedicate advertising dollars to the holiday
Which photos are REAL? Which are FAKE? How many can you guess even half correctly? The answers and explanations of the real photos are found in "the rest of the story" at the end of this post. Good Luck!
Camel Spiders - Common in Iraq?
A tsunami in Thailand
One Very LARGE cat!
Dog, meet Porky, Porky Pine.
I don't know whether to puke, cry or run... but is it REAL?
I just saw this band live with Agents of Mercy. This band was BEYOND impressive!
Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc.): I love the CD...the sheer skill and gusto with which they tackle it makes you laugh out loud. Great drumming. Jonathan plays and writes like a demon. Congratulations to them.
John Wetton (King Crimson, UK, Asia): 'Can't take you with me' is dynamite. I wish you luck, you're a good band, and deserve success, see you on the broad highway.
Roine Stolt (Flower Kings, Transatlantic): Your band is one of the very few I can see a real true potential in and I'm sure you have many new fabulous albums coming in the near future.
Jonas Reingold (Flower Kings, Karmakanic): Your band is great...I really dig your stuff, it would be fun to do something together in the future, keep up the good work, you´re one of the most talented progressive bands I´ve heard lately, good luck.
Jim Derogatis (NPR's "Sound Opinions", Rolling Stone Magazine): District 97 is a wildly ambitious progressive-rock group whose youth belies its accomplishments onstage and on its new "Hybrid Child" CD.
Paul Bielatowicz (Carl Palmer Band, Neal Morse): We made our way back to the hotel and I put on District 97's CD while finishing my nachos – what a GREAT album!
District 97 is undoubtedly the most musically adventurous rock band in the world to feature an American Idol Top 10 Female Finalist.