Or is it? The U.S. Dollar Bill is VERY amazing, and still somewhat mysterious...
Be sure to read to the end for some great Dollar Bill fun!
- The average life of a dollar bill is just 18 months
- 97% of all paper money contains traces of cocaine
- On the $1 bill the Latin above the pyramid, ANNUIT COEPTIS, means "God has favored our undertaking”
- The Latin below the pyramid on the $1 bill, NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM, means "a new order for the ages”
- At the base of the pyramid on the $1 bill you will find “1776” in Roman Numerals
- On the $1 bill, you can see an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield," while a spider is hidden in the front upper right-hand corner
- If you had $10 billion and spent $1 every second of every day, it would take 317 years for you to go broke
- You'd need to fold a bill about 8,000 times (first forward and then backwards) before it will tear
- The number 13 (corresponding to the 13 colonies) figures prominently on the $1 bill. The number of letters/digits in 1776 (4) and its Roman Numeral equivalent MDCCLXXVI (9) adds up to 13
- The dollar has 13 stars above the eagle
- There are 13 steps on the Pyramid
- There are 13 letters in ANNUIT COEPTIS
- E PLURIBUS UNUM contains 13 letters
- There are 13 vertical bars on the shield
- The top of the shield has 13 horizontal stripes
- You can count 13 leaves on the olive branch
- There are 13 berries on the olive branch
- The dollar bill also features 13 arrows and 13 hats
- The Dollar isn't made out of paper, it's actually made out of linen
- For the record, each bill costs the government 6.4 cents to print
- Look in the white spaces on the face of the bill for little bits of the colored thread. They look like lint but you can't scratch them off
- There are silk threads of Red and Blue in every Dollar bill
The black seal with the big letter in the middle signifies the Federal Reserve bank that placed the order for the bill. A = Boston, B = New York City, C = Philadelphia, D = Cleveland, E = Richmond, Va., F = Atlanta, G = Chicago, H = St. Louis, I = Minneapolis, J = Kansas City, K = Dallas, L = San Francisco.
The letter also corresponds to the black number that is repeated four times on the face of the bill. For example, if you have a bill from Dallas with the letter K, then the number on the bill will be 11 because K is the eleventh letter in the alphabet.
Why is there an unfinished pyramid with a glowing eye?Thomson explained the sturdy pyramid as a symbol of "strength and duration". He did not explain its unfinished state, but many believe it signified that our nation remained unfinished. The pyramid also stops at 13 steps, the number of the original colonies.
The "Eye of Providence" is a visual representation of the words Annuit Coeptis, and reinforces the founders' notion that God looked upon the endeavor of the new nation with favor. Many theorists mistakenly believe the symbolism of the eye is related to the Freemasons (a secret society whose members believed they were under the careful scrutiny of God), but the symbolism of the glowing eye is far older than any Freemason thinking. Scholars have traced versions of the symbol as far back as the ancient Egyptians.
And finally... Origami with a dollar bill!