The Lightning Seeds
The Lightning Seeds are an English alternative rock and pop band from Liverpool, England formed by Ian Broudie (vocals, guitar, producer) in 1989. Actually, for the first two albums, the "band" was just Broudie.
Originally a studio-based solo project for Broudie, The Lightning Seeds expanded into a touring band following Jollification (1994). The group experienced commercial success throughout the 1990s and are well-known for their single "Three Lions", a collaboration with David Baddiel and Frank Skinner which reached No. 1 in the UK in 1996 and 1998.
I discovered The Lightning Seeds the same year they released their debut album, and have been a fan of Ian's Project ever since. Now Broudie, much older, voice much deeper, has released some solo material as well that I really don't enjoy as much as any of his earlier Lightning Seed music.
- Cloudcuckooland (1990) - My favorite still
- Sense (1992) - Also fantastic
- Jollification (1994) - Once again, this album was very good
- Dizzy Heights (1996) - Great musically, in my opinion the writing was not as good as the first three albums
- Tilt (1999) - OK
- Four Winds (2009) - Forgettable
Kind of sad now. It seems to me that the spark which once set his music apart from the pack has somehow been snuffed out... but, maybe it's just me.